Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

ArcGIS wrong location using Parishes id

Hi,

I'm trying to represent location as Boundaries selecting "Portugal" as country in the arcgis options. I'm using Parishes id's as Location type. I found a lot of issues.. examples of id's:

(....) a lot

any solution? because, if I use parishes names, the map can't find a lot of them correctly.

1.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been talking with the ArcGIS team, take a look: 

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

Could you please upload the pbix to help test? You can save it in a network drive like Onedrive and share the link.

By the way, ArcGIS is provided by esri, you could try to contact it for straightforward support.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Eric_Zhang, as Scott Ball said in this article ( https://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2016/10/11/5-common-questions-about-arcgis-maps-for-power-bi/ ), 

• "We have some ‘fuzzy search’ capabilities that give some flexibility that allows our backend to provide results even when a user doesn’t match the location name we have exactly. This is especially useful when the place name has diacritical marks but the user dataset does not contain diacriticals – it allows users to get results without exact matches."
  • "Fuzzy search is a problem, however, whenever you have exact ID’s such as ZIP or postal codes. 92373 is very close to 92374, but you would never want to return the geometry info for 92374 if you want to map 92373. Our fix looks at the data model, and if the user has marked a data field in Power BI as a ‘Postal Code’ field, we turn off fuzzy search when that field is mapped. Only exact matches will be returned. It will involve a little extra effort on your part, but the results will be much better."

I suppose this is the problem I'm facing with my parishes id's. He said that "the patch was delivered along with a slew of other bug fixes and enhancements to Microsoft this weekend and should be rolling out in the coming weeks"

I will wait this patch to see if the problem is gone.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Eric_Zhang, as Scott Ball said in this article ( https://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2016/10/11/5-common-questions-about-arcgis-maps-for-power-bi/ ), 

• "We have some ‘fuzzy search’ capabilities that give some flexibility that allows our backend to provide results even when a user doesn’t match the location name we have exactly. This is especially useful when the place name has diacritical marks but the user dataset does not contain diacriticals – it allows users to get results without exact matches."
  • "Fuzzy search is a problem, however, whenever you have exact ID’s such as ZIP or postal codes. 92373 is very close to 92374, but you would never want to return the geometry info for 92374 if you want to map 92373. Our fix looks at the data model, and if the user has marked a data field in Power BI as a ‘Postal Code’ field, we turn off fuzzy search when that field is mapped. Only exact matches will be returned. It will involve a little extra effort on your part, but the results will be much better."

I suppose this is the problem I'm facing with my parishes id's. He said that "the patch was delivered along with a slew of other bug fixes and enhancements to Microsoft this weekend and should be rolling out in the coming weeks"

I will wait this patch to see if the problem is gone.

Kindly share your finding. 🙂 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Eric_Zhang,

A sample: goo.gl/QrK0DJ

If you choose "Lisboa" you will see that some parishes are wrong. Is better open a ticket in esri support?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi @Eric_Zhang,

A sample: goo.gl/QrK0DJ

If you choose "Lisboa" you will see that some parishes are wrong. Is better open a ticket in esri support?

I don't have access to this sample.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm trying to represent location as Boundaries selecting "Portugal" as country in the arcgis options. I'm using Parishes id's as Location type. I found a lot of issues.. examples of id's:

(....) a lot

any solution? because, if I use parishes names, the map can't find a lot of them correctly.

1.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.