Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mjohnson
Frequent Visitor

ArcGIS Custom Shape Files for Haiti

My colleagues are very excited to start exploring ArcGIS features inside Power BI. I have a dataset with location information for individuals in Haiti. The largest geographic boundaries in Haiti is the Departments (10), which are divided into 42 arrondissements, 145 communes and then 571 communal sections.

I was able to display some of my data using the Commune shape layer using a reference layer in ArcGIS called "GAFSP_Haiti", which has the Departments and Communes, however I am having trouble limiting my dataset to only link to locations in Haiti. The result is that many of my locations are mapped to the US, France, and other French-speaking locations throughout the world. 

1. Haiti is not an option in the Location Type Menu. Can I request that this be added to the list, using the geographic divisions listed above?
  2. There is not yet an option to complete the ArcGIS function "join by attribute" inside the Power BI interface. Is this an option or is it planned for future release, or is there something I can do inside ArcGIS Online that would facilitate this join?  I do have my own shape files for Haiti, which I can upload into ArcGIS Online if that address this issue.

Thank you so much for your help, and thank you for allowing us to preview these new features!

-Mike Johnson

Senior Analyst

Partners In Health

map.JPG

Mike Johnson
Partners In Health
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mjohnson,

I was able to display some of my data using the Commune shape layer using a reference layer in ArcGIS called "GAFSP_Haiti", which has the Departments and Communes, however I am having trouble limiting my dataset to only link to locations in Haiti. The result is that many of my locations are mapped to the US, France, and other French-speaking locations throughout the world.  

In this scenario, I would suggest you to add Latitude and Longitude information to your dataset, then show them with your locations on the ArcGIS Map, which should solve the issue.

arcgis2.PNG

1. Haiti is not an option in the Location Type Menu. Can I request that this be added to the list, using the geographic divisions listed above?
  2. There is not yet an option to complete the ArcGIS function "join by attribute" inside the Power BI interface. Is this an option or is it planned for future release, or is there something I can do inside ArcGIS Online that would facilitate this join?  I do have my own shape files for Haiti, which I can upload into ArcGIS Online if that address this issue.

You can submit your requirements on Power BI Ideas to improve the features of ArcGIS Map on Power BI. The idea for connecting to ArcGIS Online through ArcGIS Maps for Power BI is already shared, you can vote it up and add your comments here to make this feature coming sooner.Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mjohnson,

In this scenario, I would suggest you to add Latitude and Longitude information to your dataset, then show them with your locations on the ArcGIS Map, which should solve the issue.

arcgis2.PNG

You can submit your requirements on Power BI Ideas to improve the features of ArcGIS Map on Power BI. The idea for connecting to ArcGIS Online through ArcGIS Maps for Power BI is already shared, you can vote it up and add your comments here to make this feature coming sooner.Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.