Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bilicim
Regular Visitor

ArcGIS Custom Reference Layer Private Access

I'm trying to use custom layer on ArcGIS and I don't want to make the layer public. However, I can use it only when it is shared with Everyone. Some layers requires username & password. How can I activate that authentication?

6 REPLIES 6
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

@bilicim

Hi,

Do you mean that you have a custom layer and  you want to use it in ArcGIS privately? There are a few restrictions here.

1. We can't connect to ArcGis Online account from Power BI by now.

2. Power BI need network connectivity to display maps.

I am sorry I didn't find any layers that require username & password. Could you please post one?

Please reference: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-tutorial-arcgis/

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Exactly, I want to use my custom layer without sharing it publicly. When you search ArcGIS custom layers within Power BI, following screen pops up for some layers;

@bilicim

Hi,

I am sorry for replying so late. According to the official document, we can't connect to ArcGIS online acount by now. You can vote this idea here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/9154765-arcgis-geodatabases It may be coming soon.

ArcGIS Custom Reference Layer Private Access.JPG

Best Regards!

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Dale,

Thanks for the update. It is weird that users can access my private layers by entering arcgis username and password. If an admin just set this username and password in the Power BI ArcGIS component, it will become an enterprise solution. It sounds so simple, and it is mission critical for enterprises who has custom private layers 🙂

Thanks,

Murat

@bilicim,

Hi Murat,

Thanks for sharing. I realized it recently. Reference this document in case you didn't find it. 

Best Regards!

Dale

Yes, I know this document. However, it doesn't solve my problem. Custom layer need to be shared with Everyone (public). I want to access my custom layer without making it public.

I tried and added my custom layer. Then, I made it private again, the custom layer is still available in my report but I have to enter arcgis username and password after I re-logged in to the Power BI report.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.