Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CROforce
Helper I
Helper I

Append to row above in Power BI

Hello… Is there a way to do something like this in Power BI?

In Excel, I have a table called TD_COUNT which consist of 4 columns, | Date | Open | Close | Total |

What I would like to accomplish is on a row 2, column D formula like this:

=IF([@[Date Open]]="","", [@Open])

but then on the row 3, I need to append row 2 column 😧

=IF([@[Date Open]]="","", [@Open]+D2)

and so on....

Capture.PNG

btw, I have created query table in Power BI called "Date List" and I have same columns as in Excel

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

That consistent 87 is suspicious.  Did you by chance create 'Cumulative Open Tickets' as a Column rather than a Measure?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

In power query (query editor in Power BI), you can create a custom column that references values in specific cells (i.e. a row offset such as the cell above). To do this, you would first need to add an index column starting with 1, and then the syntax for referencing that index column as a row offset would be:

=if [Date Open] = "" then "" else "Table"[Open]{Index-1}

Here the "Index" value will be the row number (essentially) so by subtracting 1 you are telling the function to use the value in the [Open] column but from the row above.

You will need to adapt this approach for your specific goal.  It looks like you want a running total perhaps?  Not sure but hope this helps

Thank you for reply however, I can't get it to work. 

BTW, I am fearly new to Power BI. What I am looking for is if date 9/30/2015 has 10 open, I would like to take that 10 and add to the row below + whatever number under Open for the row 10/1/2015. So in this case would be 20 and so on (row on 10/2/2015 should be 30 since row above was 20 plus another 10 under open on that particular date)...  

Capture.PNG

Is there a way to do this in DAX?
Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try something like this as a measure, based on http://www.daxpatterns.com/cumulative-total/:

Cumulative Open Tickets = 
CALCULATE (
    SUM (Table1[Open]) - SUM (Table1[Closed]),
    FILTER (
        ALL (Table1),
        Table1[Index] <= MAX (Table1[Index])
    )
)

Thank you for the reply/ your time to help with this.. this formula makes sence logically however it's not working 😞

Might be good thing to note that inorder to get number of open (column) I am using formula:

Open = COUNTX(
		FILTER('observation', 'observation'[Date Opened]='Date List'[Date Open]),
		'observation'[Date Opened])

And similar thing for Closed... not sure if that would affect the way Cumulative Open Tickets column?

This is my resoult with the code you provided:

I will also check the link you mentioned in your post

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

That consistent 87 is suspicious.  Did you by chance create 'Cumulative Open Tickets' as a Column rather than a Measure?

You are GENIUS :-)... I missed to see that. After quick change, now it works. Thank you for your help. It's much appriciated.Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.