Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bix_00001

Any idea to let user change data?

I need to allow analytic users (with no development experience) to change/write values in my database (it could be in a xls file either).

Any ideas on how to do that?

Tks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as I am aware and as otherws have said before you cannot use power bi to change the source system. You could hide certain IDs in the power bi report either dynacmically based on a column in the soruce data or manually using a slicer or page filter.

If you want to change the sour ce system you will need another tool either instead or as well as power bi. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi bix_00001,

When data in data source changes-> data in data model level (Query Editor) will be changed-> data in data visual level (Report) will be changed. However, we can implement the sequence above inversely so we can't change or write values in database.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

RMDNA
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@bix_00001,

Power BI can't write back to source data (whether it's a database, xls, etc.), and there's no way to edit indivudal fields in the Query Editor (at least not by typing anything in). The tables don't function like they would in an Excel file.

Power BI isn't the tool you're looking for here - you need something that handles database management, not visualization.

Hmm, I see.

But is there a way to call a JS function or something like that?

The problem I have to solve is:

There is a list of bug IDs being displayed in Power BI, and once people solve (or want to ignore) that bug, I need to remove it from the list.

Any ideas on how to do that? The front-end must be 100% in Power BI.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder if you have found a JS function to write back data since then?

Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as I am aware and as otherws have said before you cannot use power bi to change the source system. You could hide certain IDs in the power bi report either dynacmically based on a column in the soruce data or manually using a slicer or page filter.

If you want to change the sour ce system you will need another tool either instead or as well as power bi. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a replace values option in query editor but your data would have to be consistent. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.