Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Josepatwentysix
Frequent Visitor

Alphanumeric Measure

Hi, I have serously doubts with this case. I was trying to make relationships between variables to start my reports, I have chosen a variable with unique values, in comparison with the other ones, however, this variable is an alphanumeric variable, and for that reason I think that power BI isn´t reading the variable as good as it should be, so the variable give me the problem of, can´t create a relationship between this two variables beacause one should have unique values.

So my cuestion is, how to deal with alphanumeric series, to make this kind of reading possible. 

Best RegardsALPHANUMERIC.png

6 REPLIES 6
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @Josepatwentysix,

You can create relationships using TEXT columns however you need to make sure there is an exact match, so be aware of any leading/trailing spaces.  Make sure both sides of the 1 to Many relationship are set to text.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Just put Text, but still gaving me the same problem. If I put numerical the alphanumerical data shows up on error. If I put text this error got solve, but the relationship still on error because "there is NO unique values".

Hi @Josepatwentysix

When you create a relationship between two tables in Power BI, one of the tables needs to have unique values.  Do you want to share your PBIX file with me so I can help configure your data?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

That's a fact. The thing is that maybe with text, the program read the numbers as a repeated value, maybe because of that, because actually, there is no repeated value, I checked in Excel with the delete duplicates and there isn't . I will like to share my workspace, but it's kind of private so... I can't, sorry!
I heard of some kind of dummy in power bi, don't know exactly how does it work but if you know and know, just let me know I will appreaciate that.

Hi there. Do you have blank rows in the column that needs to only have unique values in it?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @Phil_Seamark

In the column I have codes, some of them are numbers, and others are numbers with letters.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.