Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

VidasM
Advocate II
Advocate II

After upgrading to Oct 30, 2016 I cannot refresh my model anymore

After I upgraded my PowerBI for Desktop to Oct 30th, 2016 release, I cannot refresh my model anymore. Error:

Failed to save modification to the server. Error returned: "A measure, set, expression or data source with the name of "TableName" already exists in the 'Model' Model.

Does anyone could guide me on how can I investigate this error?

Does anyone have a link to download Sep 2016 release?

Edit: Resolved. It appears this release has a new limitation: You cannot have calculated measure with the same name as table name, otherwise refresh will fail. I renamed measure and my refresh works again.

After enabling trace, I see following in one of the log files, but that is no help for me:

.IgnoreSafeExceptions(IEngineHost host, IHostTrace trace, Action action)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.EvaluationHost.TryReportException(IHostTrace trace, IEngineHost engineHost, IMessageChannel channel, Exception exception)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.EvaluationHost.TryHandleException(Exception exception)\r\n\r\n\r\n","ProductVersion":"2.40.4554.361 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000","Process":"Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40","Pid":7112,"Tid":1,"Duration":"00:00:00.0093247"}
DataMashup.Trace Warning: 24579 : {"Start":"2016-10-31T14:47:53.4885944Z","Action":"EvaluationHost/TryHandleException","Exception":"Exception:\r\nExceptionType: System.IO.IOException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089\r\nMessage: Pipe is broken.\r\nStackTrace:\n at System.IO.Pipes.PipeStream.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode)\r\n at System.IO.Pipes.PipeStream.WriteCore(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MessageSerializer.Serialize(BinaryWriter writer, Message message)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MessageSerializer.Serialize(BinaryWriter writer, Message message)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.StreamMessenger.Post(Message message)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.EvaluationHost.<>c__DisplayClass7.<TryReportException>b__6()\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Common.SafeExceptions.IgnoreSafeExceptions(IEngineHost host, IHostTrace trace, Action action)\r\n\r\n\r\n","Exception":"Exception:\r\nExceptionType: System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089\r\nMessage: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.\r\nStackTrace:\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Common.ExceptionLoggingService.LogIgnoredException(IEngineHost host, Exception e)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Common.SafeExceptions.IgnoreSafeExceptions(IEngineHost host, IHostTrace trace, Action action)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.EvaluationHost.TryReportException(IHostTrace trace, IEngineHost engineHost, IMessageChannel channel, Exception exception)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.EvaluationHost.TryHandleException(Exception exception)\r\n\r\n\r\n","ProductVersion":"2.40.4554.361 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000","Process":"Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40","Pid":7112,"Tid":3,"Duration":"00:00:00.0081695"}
DataMashup.Trace Error: 24579 : {"Start":"2016-10-31T14:47:53.4976556Z","Action":"EvaluationContainerMain/ExceptionHandler/HandleException","containerID":"1","Exception":"Exception:\r\nExceptionType: System.IO.EndOfStreamException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089\r\nMessage: Unable to read beyond the end of the stream.\r\nStackTrace:\n at System.IO.BinaryReader.FillBuffer(Int32 numBytes)\r\n at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadInt32()\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MessageSerializer.Deserialize(BinaryReader reader)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.StreamMessenger.Read()\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.ChannelMessenger.Read(MessageChannel channel)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.ChannelMessenger.MessageChannel.Read()\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.IMessengerExtensions.WaitFor[T](IMessenger messenger, Action`2 handler)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteServiceEnvironment.CreateServiceProxies(IMessenger messenger, IRemoteServiceProxy[]& services)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.EvaluationHost.Run()\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SafeThread2.<>c__DisplayClass15.<CreateAction>b__14(Object o)\r\n\r\n\r\n","ProductVersion":"2.40.4554.361 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000","Process":"Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40","Pid":7112,"Tid":1,"Duration":"00:00:00.0001217"}
DataMashup.Trace Error: 24579 : {"Start":"2016-10-31T14:47:53.4976916Z","Action":"EvaluationContainerMain/ExceptionHandler/HandleException","containerID":"1","Exception":"Exception:\r\nExceptionType: System.Threading.AbandonedMutexException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089\r\nMessage: The wait completed due to an abandoned mutex.\r\nStackTrace:\n at System.Threading.WaitHandle.InternalWaitOne(SafeHandle waitableSafeHandle, Int64 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean hasThreadAffinity, Boolean exitContext)\r\n at System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitOne(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean exitContext)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Container.EvaluationContainerMain.WaitForParentExitThread(Object state)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SafeThread2.<>c__DisplayClass15.<CreateAction>b__14(Object o)\r\n\r\n\r\n","ProductVersion":"2.40.4554.361 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000","Process":"Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40","Pid":7112,"Tid":3,"Duration":"00:00:00.0000899"}

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I heard just now that there is a new build available on the download page to fix this issue.  

I've tested it and it does avoid the "A measure ... already exits" issue that I encountered.  With that new build, I was also able to open a file which was saved after striking that error, which previously gave an error: Unable to Open Document We weren't able to restore the saved database to the model

Please still take careful backups of your files and dont rely on this - I have conducted a very limited test for one scenario.

Here are the version numbers:

2.40.4554.421  - has issues

2.40.4554.463  - new build

Can others please test and post your results.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

Hi Mike,

I can confirm that release with todays date (Nov 3, 2016) fixed this problem - I was able to change measure name back (to match table name) and refresh model without any problems.

VidasM
Advocate II
Advocate II

i was told by MS that this is a bug that will be resolved soon (probably next release). So current solution:

rename existing measure that matches another table name. This is very easy to do as renamed is "cascaded" to other measures and reports.

Also, make sure that if you cannot refresh, the do not save that pbix file, or you might end up with corrupted file.

This will be fixed and released soon. We will not wait for the next monthly release.

Alex.

lubosbednar
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks for help. I had the same issue Morover, when i saved pbix with the new released PBI desktop, I was not able to open it again due to currpted model error message. I had to use previous version of pbix from our repository. Very frustrating.

braybrookj
Helper I
Helper I

I also had this issue.

Its a bit annoying that you cannot have a measure named the same as the table!

Changing the name has solved the issue for me as well though!

Thanks

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @VidasM,

Glad to hear the issue has been solved. And thank your for your sharing the solution which will benefit other communities who has the same issue.

By the way, it would be better not modify the original post, as communities can understand what the exact issue is. If you have any update about the issue, please post a new reply in this thread.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.