Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Morten_DK
Helper I
Helper I

After lastest update I get "We weren't able to restore the saved database to the model"

Hi,

I updated Power BI Desktop to the latest version, I then opened a PBIX file and updated it and saved it. Now I can't open it again as I get the following error "We weren't able to restore the saved database to the model". This is kind of a big problem for me as I have (stupid me) deleted the backup PBIX file. I can't downgrade to a previous version of Power BI Desktop as I get a message that I need to update Power BI Desktop to be able to open the file.

It doesn't happend to all my reports, just this one.

Anyone else having this issue or ideas how to solve it?

BR

Morten

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also facing the same issue. One hour before it was working but once I closed the report and reopen the report then it is giving an error : "We weren't able to restore the saved database to the mode".

Could anybody please share the solution for this? It's very important to solve this issue because we have demo today.

Thanks In advance...

Regards,

Laxmiknat Kalkote

Mandr0id
Advocate I
Advocate I

I updated PowerBI to the latest April version and got the same error "we were not able to restore the saved database to the model" 

I happened to use the new feature Add Column from Example in a report and added couple of columns. Not sure thats what has caused the problem. It was a simple report using just 1 table. 

Any help in not having to recreate the report is appreciated.

btw, I tried to repair the install but it didn't help.

gerdinve
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I did the same just 2 hours ago after I updated Power BI desktop to the newest October version. I opened a pbix file, updated it and saved it and after that I'm not able anymore to open this report. During initializing the model I get the same error, "We weren't able to restore the saved database to the model" and have no option to send a frown. 

I did the same steps on another test report but in contrast that stays working well.

Anyone else having this issue after the update to October realease or ideas to solve?

Gerdin

A downgrade to earliver version of Power Bi is in my case no solution. The error as mentioned before dissappears but Power BI presents me with the message the report is not compatible with the software version and shoul install the newest version, though that version gives me the error as mentioned before.

I have the same issue.

On the other hand, i've tried opening a backup save from my main database in power BI saving it again, no luck, same issue.

The file opens, but after saving it on the new version it becomes unusable.  

pqian
Employee
Employee

@jameslo30 I don't think that's a related issue.

@Morten_DK, sorry about your situation, there isn't really much you can do here. Looks like the data model is corrupted. We may be able to salvage the Query and Reports though. It's worth a try.

First, please send a frown about this so we can track this (and get back to you directly if there is anything new). Then, if you are willing, please send the file in question to pqian at microsoft dot com. I'll see what I can find.

jameslo30
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi,

The latest version has various problems with it at the moment. I wouldn't be suprised if a new version is released within days.

Also, there appears to be an issue with PowerBI - Maybe this is related?:

Current Status: Engineers continue to investigate potential mitigation options. In parallel, engineers are investigating a potential caching issue that may be contributing to the problem.

User Impact: The affected users are unable to upload new workbooks.

Customer Impact: Analysis of incident scope indicates that many customers appear to be impacted by this event. For those customers affected, this issue potentially affects any user attempting to access or use the affected feature. Some customers have reported that their organization is affected by this issue.

Incident Start Time: Friday, January 22, 2016, at 10:05 PM UTC

Preliminary Root Cause: As part of our ongoing work to improve the service an update was deployed to a portion of infrastructure that caused impact to the Power BI service.

Next Update by: Thursday, February 4, 2016, at 8:00 PM UTC

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.