Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jrobinson
Frequent Visitor

Adjusted column width changes on column selection

Hi all,

I have a matrix (using the new matrix preview which hugely condenses the row  hierarchy) in Power BI. I am able to resize the columns and have word wrap on, but when I clikck on any of the other columns (i.e. to sort by value) all of the columns go back to the full width required to fit in the header.

Does anybody know how to get the columns to remain at the size I set them too? I've tried turning Auto-size off but this made no difference.

Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jrobinson,

I can reproduce your issue when I only have Rows and Values in the matrix preview. However, when the matrix preview contains Rows, Columns and Values, everything works well after manually changing column width.

Based on WillT’s reply in this similar thread, if the matrix preview only contains Rows and Values, it doesn’t work as expected when we manually set column width, this is a known issue and it will be resolved in a future update.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

With the July general release of the "new Matrix", the column widths do not stick even with Rows, columns, and Values. Where should I report this?

Dog
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I think that these are usually raised as issues within the ideas area. 

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Matrix-Column-Auto-size/idi-p/140771

this one seems to relate to a similar issue. 

I am also having the issue you are referring to but this only seems to be a problem when I have columns and not just values selected

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Thanks, I've put it over there.  Still no response from anyone to acknowledge the issue or help me/us understand that it's going to be fixed.

Dog
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @ThomasDay

I've been looking into this a bit more and the issue of the columns not retaining their sizes seems to only occur when you are passing a value into the column field and not just values. 

I've been able to work around mine (although not ideal as it's a little slower) but it's a workaround none the less. 

my matrix was purely to break out values into each month of the year, so I have had to write  measure for each month. 

and I've passed all the months in as just values. with auto size switched off I can now resize and these are retained. 

the two comprises here for me have been 1, I have had to write my own total measure and 2. because of this new total measure my values aren't in bold but with column formatting I've been able to set the back ground colours etc... so it doesn't look too bad. 

Dog!

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

With the July Release, are New Matrix column widths staying put for anyone else who has dragged the column space separators to set col widths? 

Dog
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @jrobinson

this looks like a defect in the preview visual, on the original matrix, switching off resize was all if took. 

not sure who you would notify... I'm sure someone else will comment. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.