Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dparkinson
Advocate I
Advocate I

Adding a column with an incremental count based on multiple selections in another column.

That subject doesn't even make sense to me and I'm writing it...

Basically I have a database that has a stupid multi select field in it which means that it can store multiple values and I need to extract them to work out the split between the categories stored in it.

Probably easiest with an example.  Lets say the field looks like the following over a few rows:

,type1,type2,type3,

,type2,

,type3,type4,

,type4,type5,type6,type7

Now lets say that each type belongs to a different category, so:

Category 1 = type1, type3

Category 2 = type2, type5, type6

Category 3 = type4,type7

For each of the categories, I need to split an amount between them.  So, let's say I have $50,000 to share between the categories for row 1.  For the first row, you can see that there are two fields in Category 1 and one field in category 2, so I split the $50,000, with Category 1 getting 66% and Category 2 getting 33% of the amount?  --Does that make sense?

I figured I'd add a calculated column where I can check if the field contains the text for each type and do a +=1 to a count.  I could then use that count across the categories for a total so I can do cash_for_category = available_cash / total_category_entries * number_of_entries_for_this_category, i.e.

Category 1 Cash = (50,000 / 3) * 2

- Where 50,000 is the cash to share

- Where 3 = number of categories in the field

- Where 2 = number of fields in this category

Category 2 Cash = (50,000 / 3) * 1

Hopefully that all makes sense.

I suspect there is a much simpler way to ask this and hopefully a much simpler answer.

Many thanks for any assistance anyone can provide.

Regards,

D.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Perfectly doable, but not trivial - depending on the exact shape of your input data - have a look at the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4fdvv3ql161p28/PBI_AllocateCategories.pbix?dl=0

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
itchyeyeballs
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Simple way to count the number of types may be to just do something like

(Len('Table'[Field]) - Len(substitute('Table'[Field]),",","")) + 1

without seeing your table structure its hard to suggest solutions for the rest

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Perfectly doable, but not trivial - depending on the exact shape of your input data - have a look at the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4fdvv3ql161p28/PBI_AllocateCategories.pbix?dl=0

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Apologies for the delay.  I've only just got around to downloading your example.

Thankyou very much indeed.  That was very useful providing the PBIX file -- it allows me to see exactly how you built it up to the final result.  Now I just have to try and replicate that with my data.

Many thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Kind regards,

D.

Hi Imkef

thanks for the solution it opend my mind, now i have a different positive look towards M Lang.

thanks

Nik

Sincerely
Nik- Shahriar Nikkhah

@SNik Thats great & thanks for the feedback!

You can basically do all your Excel-calculations with M.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.