Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Yggdrasill
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Add Custom Row (Table.InsertRow)

Hi !

I have a dimension table with few rows and few values from a database.

I want to add a custom row to this table without having to create a new one and Append.

customRow.PNG

Is this possible ?

I've tried to use the Table.InsertRows() but the explanations on MSDN are not really helping.

Thanks in advance

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
stretcharm
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

InsertRows will do what you want.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUXIE4sjUYqVYnWglIyDbCcaPBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Dimension = _t, #"Dimension Name" = _t, #"From Data Source" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Dimension", Int64.Type}}),
    Custom1 = Table.InsertRows(#"Changed Type",2, { [Dimension = 3, Dimension Name = "Custom Row", From Data Source = "No"] })
in
    Custom1

View solution in original post

stretcharm
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUXIE4sjUYqVYnWglIyDbCcaPBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Dimension = _t, #"Dimension Name" = _t, #"From Data Source" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Dimension", Int64.Type}}),
    Custom1 = Table.InsertRows(#"Changed Type",2, { [Dimension = 3, Dimension Name = "Custom Row", From Data Source = "No"] })
in
    Custom1 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
stretcharm
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

let
in
    Custom1 

Hi @stretcharm

Can you help me out here, I am trying to SUM the values of all column in to NET INCOME row. I used the following code, but its giving me error values. 
PFA screenshot of the data and code.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sahil

variance_screensht.PNG

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUXIE4sjUYqVYnWglIyDbCcaPBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"scode"= _t, #"sdesc" = _t, #"MyYTDComparative" = _t, #"MyYTDVariance" = _t, #"MyYTDBaseline" = _t, #"MyYTDVariancePercentage" = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"MyYTDComparative", Float64.type}, {"MyYTDVariance", Float64.type}, {"MyYTDBaseline", Float64.type}, {"MyYTDVariancePercentage", Float64.type}}),
Custom1 = Table.InsertRows(#"Changed Type",2, { [scode = 829999, sdesc = "NET INCOME" ,MyYTDComparative = SUM(MyYTDComparative), MyYTDVariance = SUM(MyYTDVariance), MyYTDBaseline = SUM(MyYTDBaseline), MyYTDVariancePercentage = AVERAGE(MyYTDVariancePercentage)] })
in
Custom1

You could look at this Table.AggregateTableColumn

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt260728.aspx

However I would probably just

create a reference to the table,

group it to get a total

add the non new columns for aggregated fields to get the row the same shape

then append the original and new table together as a new Query.

You may what to add a sort order column that can be used for the total to the bottom.

Hello,

Just to add to Stretcharm, you can do it by selecting all the columns you want to use as grouping criterias and then click group by. All the columns will already be added as grouping criteria. Originally I did it line by line so I share the trick 🙂

Guillaume

Hi

Can you help please with this issue?

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Insert-custom-rows/m-p/731157#M352721

i struggle to add in a table some calculated rows based on original rows

thanks a lot!

Cosmin

You absolute beast ! So simple

Thanks !

stretcharm
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

let
in
    Custom1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Works great! Thanks

Hi

Is it possible to add a row based on certain conditions?

The logic for my query is:

Current table

Product number    Province

A001                       Ontario

A001                      Alberta

B001                       Quebec

B001                      Alberta

For each product number in the table IF (Province) <> "Yukon Territory" then INSERT row "Product number and Province = "Yukon Territory"

IF (Province) <> "Quebec" then INSERT row "Product number and Province = "Quebec"

Desired output 

Product number    Province

A001                       Ontario

A001                      Alberta

A001                      Yukon Territory

A001                      Quebec

B001                       Quebec

B001                      Alberta

B001                      Yukon Territory

Any luck on this? I know we need to change the "Dimension = 3" to a dynamic number that is equal to total columns in the table as one year may have 2 columns but later may have 3 or more as in finance you expect your business needs to grow. Adding a condition prior to that step to validate the content value of the column is what we need to do. Hopefully someone can suggest what function could accomplish these two things to modify code below.

let
in
    Custom1

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors