Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gooranga1
Power Participant
Power Participant

Ability to search a slicer set to drop down removed

It seems that the January 2017 release has removed the search option for a slicer set to drop down.

Has anyone else noticed this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gooranga1,

From your description, the issue happens to the slicer in Drop Down mode within Power BI desktop latest version. It should be the same issue which reported in this thread: Search on a slicer set as dropdown.

I have checked the CRI 29913499 status, PG said the fix in desktop will be released around February.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gooranga1,

From your description, the issue happens to the slicer in Drop Down mode within Power BI desktop latest version. It should be the same issue which reported in this thread: Search on a slicer set as dropdown.

I have checked the CRI 29913499 status, PG said the fix in desktop will be released around February.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Qiuyun Yu,

Has this issue fixed on desktop version as i cant still see search attribites on slicer.

Kind Regards,

Chan

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

I have just updated to February desktop version and the issue has not been resolved? Still no search on dropdown?

I got the information below

• We currently only support search on string fields. We are not supporting it on date or numeric fields.
  • Search box is visible but does not allow to type anything when slicer has too many values, in this case, please suggest user to increase the width of slicer visual and it should work. Fix for this is planned in SU03.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

@v-qiuyu-msft - when or what is "SU03" ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The response given to allow the search function with a drown down slicer was to add more width.  It does appear to be true that slicer width needs to be at least as wide as your longest data point, but are there any plans to correct this?  I don't need my City slicer to have a width of 400 just to know that San Fernando is not that same as San Francisco.  I get it that this may not work in all cases.  Certainly the benefit of the drop down is to make your slicer more compact but without the ability to search long lists it looses its appeal.  

Sorry for the late response.

@Anonymous Based on my test in Power BI desktop version 2.44.4675.521 64-bit (March 2017), if the slicer has large amount of the values (Text data type) and it's in DropDown mode, the search bar is available. You can test in the same desktop version on you side.

@mike_honey SU03 means desktop March version.

@Chan15 Please refer to my reply to @Anonymous above. We currently only support search on string fields. You can test Text data type values in the slicer visual in the same desktop version as ours.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any way to swtich this off?

Hi @gooranga1,

I can reproduce the issue on latest desktop version 2.43.4647.541. And I already sent email consult the PG. Will update to you once I get feedback.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

mike_honey
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I'm seeing the same issue - very frustrating.

Something similar to this has been reported:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Search-Box-on-Slicer-Missing/idi-p/109724

Please vote and comment to raise the urgency, they seem to be treating it lightly.

Thanks Mike. Voted.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.