Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CloudMonkey
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

2 tables not linking but no error message

Hi,

If I try to link the two tables in this Power BI file (https://expirebox.com/download/20f5e9432ce0c4caf32d796a86ac0f84.html) then Power BI refuses to link them but gives no error message. Please can you tell me why?

Thanks,

CM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CloudMonkey, I guess you are trying to create a many-to-many relationship and this is not allowed in Power BI. There is a lot of well written literature on this topic on the internet.

It's a many-to-1 relationship. But in any case I'm not getting an error message which a many:many relationship would cause.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CloudMonkey, I agree you should get a message and surely Microsoft is aware of this but in reality you don't get a message at all and it won't let you create the relationship, which is annoying. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the error message I get when trying to create a relatioship between your 2 tables in the pbix file.

Capture.PNG

Apologies veejess I have some blank/null cells in one of the tables. Please do you know how to remove records where a spefic field is Null? (I can't just remove blank rows because in my real database some of the other columns have data)

Thanks,

CM

if you look at the pbix file it clearly has a many:1 relationship

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.