Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Deva002
Frequent Visitor

Running total / cumulative Sales

We have a requirement to create some Running totals in Power BI, we tried several measures but the results were not as expected.

how can we achieve this in Power BI?

Solution to this problem can be used in multiple scenarios like cumulative sales, Amount Invoiced so far, stock levels etc.

Sample Dataset:

Sales

cumulative Sales

Happy New Year!!

-Deva

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Deva002,

Sorry for late response cause i just arrived hometown for new year ^_^

One of purposes when using external Dates table to allow you filter another fields in same fact table and the cummulative will be reflected. So if your fact table has only 2 columns  Date and Value, i think you could use ALL method and Date column of that.

Cummulative. = CALCULATE(SUM(TableB[Value]),filter(ALL(TableB), TableB[Date]<=MAX(Dates[Date]) ))

In case you have additional fields and want to filter on that column, you need to handle with ALLEXCEPT, something like this:

Cummulative = CALCULATE(SUM(TableB[Value]),filter(ALLEXCEPT(TableB,TableB[AdditionalField/Dim]), TableB[Date]<=MAX(Dates[Date]) ))

So my recommendation is using Time Pattern as topic (external dates table):smileyvery-happy:

If this works for you please accept it as solution and also like to give KUDOS.

Best regards
Tri Nguyen

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Cool Dude,

We can do , 

1. Have to add index on your Table using Power Query 1.JPG

2. Have to create Calculated Column 

2.JPG

Let me know if it is not helping u 

tringuyenminh92
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Deva002,

There are some similar questions about cummulative with solution like:

With same approach: Create Dates table -> Create measure with filter All(Dates), Dates[Date] <= Max(Dates[Date])

Please let me know if you need more sample for your situation.

Dear @tringuyenminh92,

Can we have a measure like this without a date dimension? 

-Deva

Hi @Deva002,

Sorry for late response cause i just arrived hometown for new year ^_^

One of purposes when using external Dates table to allow you filter another fields in same fact table and the cummulative will be reflected. So if your fact table has only 2 columns  Date and Value, i think you could use ALL method and Date column of that.

Cummulative. = CALCULATE(SUM(TableB[Value]),filter(ALL(TableB), TableB[Date]<=MAX(Dates[Date]) ))

In case you have additional fields and want to filter on that column, you need to handle with ALLEXCEPT, something like this:

Cummulative = CALCULATE(SUM(TableB[Value]),filter(ALLEXCEPT(TableB,TableB[AdditionalField/Dim]), TableB[Date]<=MAX(Dates[Date]) ))

So my recommendation is using Time Pattern as topic (external dates table):smileyvery-happy:

If this works for you please accept it as solution and also like to give KUDOS.

Best regards
Tri Nguyen

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors