Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

LAndes
Advocate III
Advocate III

Finding the most recent value

Hi all,

I have survey data with multiple people taking the survey mutiple times.  Each row is a survey response with a date taken. The only way I know which is the "pre survey" and which is the post survey is by the date taken.  I would like to create a "prepost Colunm that read the date and designated pre or post. I have tried a combination of If and Max but I can't seem to get it to work.. Any tips?

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you- I see the logic in your approach but I am having trouble with the synax for the "Earlier" section. Per your note, I did the following:
MaxDate = CALCULATE(MAX('Community Leadership Assessment (2)'[Date Talken ], FILTER('Community Leadership Assessment (2)','Community Leadership Assessment (2)'[Name]=EARLIER('Community Leadership Assessment (2)'[Name]))))
But i got this error-A single value for column 'Date Talken ' in table 'Community Leadership Assessment (2)' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result.
Any thoughts?
@CheenuSing wrote:

Hi @LAndes

Please try the following

1. Create a column called MaxDate

MaxDate =    

CALCULATE(MAX(yourtablename[yourDatecolumn]),FILTER(yourtablename[Name]=EARLIER(yourtablename[Name])))

What this does is computes the MaxDate by Name and popluates in all records grouping by Name.

2. Create a column called IsLatest

IsLatest = If([Date]=[MaxDate],"Latest","Older")

3. Now create a report with relevant columns from yourtablename and use IsLatest column as a Visual Level Filter filtered for "Latest".

Check it out.

If it works please accept this as a solution and also give KUDOS.

Cheers

CheenuSing

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @CheenuSing 

How would you handle this if there was another variable?  Can you apply the filter for another category?

For instance, if there were surveys for two different products that could be answered by the same set of respondents.  As in the original problem, each respondent could answer the survey multiple times. 

Can you determine the most recent date that Responder 1 took the survey for Product A out of multiple submissions to Product A's survey, which is separart from the most recent date that Responder 1 took the survey for Product B out of multiple submissions to Product B's survey?

So I would want to know:

Survey Type:     

Product A       Responder 1      Most recent date of Product A survey

Product B        Responder 1      Most recent date of Product B survey

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi @Anonymous

Is your query from 7/28 resolved?

If not, here is what you can try - You can create a new column where you can CONCATENATE(ResponderName,Productname) and use it in EARLIER function per CheenuSing's suggestion. Or you can try adding two filters with EARLIER function.

Thank you- I see the logic in your approach but I am having trouble with the synax for the "Earlier" section. Per your note, I did the following:
MaxDate = CALCULATE(MAX('Community Leadership Assessment (2)'[Date Talken ], FILTER('Community Leadership Assessment (2)','Community Leadership Assessment (2)'[Name]=EARLIER('Community Leadership Assessment (2)'[Name]))))
But i got this error-A single value for column 'Date Talken ' in table 'Community Leadership Assessment (2)' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result.
Any thoughts?
@CheenuSing wrote:

Hi @LAndes

Please try the following

1. Create a column called MaxDate

MaxDate =    

CALCULATE(MAX(yourtablename[yourDatecolumn]),FILTER(yourtablename[Name]=EARLIER(yourtablename[Name])))

What this does is computes the MaxDate by Name and popluates in all records grouping by Name.

2. Create a column called IsLatest

IsLatest = If([Date]=[MaxDate],"Latest","Older")

3. Now create a report with relevant columns from yourtablename and use IsLatest column as a Visual Level Filter filtered for "Latest".

Check it out.

If it works please accept this as a solution and also give KUDOS.

Cheers

CheenuSing

I was getting a circular dependency error on my indicator column.  I just combined them into one calculation and it worked.

MaxRun =
IF(
CALCULATE(
MAX('Table'[RunTime]),
'Table'[Plant] = EARLIER(''Table'[Plant]),
'Table'[AsOfDate] = EARLIER('Table'[AsOfDate])
) = 'Table'[RunTime], 1, 0)

Using excel, but this helped me get there. Kudos!

What if we want to calculate it dynamicaly, like if the date range is changed max date will now be recalculated.

Hi @LAndes

It has to be a column and not a measure.

Change it to a column and try again.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks everyone. I added in a .Date into the formula and it worked. Most appreciative!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors