Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DSG-Lux
Helper I
Helper I

Text Filter by Microsoft does not work on iOS

Hello,

I was starting to use the text filter by Microsoft (https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA104381309?src=office&tab=Overview) quite frequently since it is much more comfortable in complex product selection processes. 

However, when I create a mobile Power BI report with Power BI Desktop the search button of the component is not triggering any MDX statement. The SSAS receives no query. 

Is this a common bug? 

best regards,

Sebastian 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

We'll certanly notify you about all updates that owner makes to fix Text Fitler.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
DavisJamesUK
Frequent Visitor

Hi @DSG-Lux & @v-viig 

Hope you are both well, at this time.

Was this query ever resolved?

I have just created a product search report for my organisation and readied it for mobile.

The Text filter works on desktop & browser(company report server) but the text filter will not work at all in the Power BI Mobile App; whether it is the portriat - mobile designed page, or the landscape full report page

It will not search any item, as if the search button is just an image!

I am using the Android app

Any information of how to get this working on Mobile would be appreciated!

Many thanks for your help

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Text Filter works well in Power BI application on iOS 11.2.5.

What iOS do you use? Do you use the latest Power BI app from the App store?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Dear Ignat,

unfortunately, I cannot confirm it is working. I did the update of iOS to 11.2.5, it is an iPhone 6S

Power BI  version is 15.0
Text Filter release from 12/28/2017
iOS update done today

Pressing "return" on iOS does not trigger an action and pressing on the magnifier doesn't work as well. 

The normal slicer search is working on the same field. Could it be related to the number of entries (~200.000)?  

We are running the mobile report on on-premise Power BI Report Server (October release, same like the Power BI Desktop). 

best regards, 

Sebastian 

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Are you experiencing this issue in Power BI web? Can you share the embedded report with mock data in order to reproduce the issue on our end?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

First of all, many thanks for your support! 

However, I will not be lucky to do this with mock data. 

It is simply a Power BI report designed with Power BI Desktop release (October) and published on our on-premise Power BI Report Server (October). The data is coming from a SSAS tabular model. 

In safari on iOS the search box works well but of course the layout is not very phone friendly. In the current Power BI app for iOS, the search function is not working. Once again I re-created the report and clicked on the magnifier and pressed return and the SSAS did not receive any MDX statement. 

I also tried to reduce the number of values passed to the component but with no effect. Is there a way for me to debug if the asynchronous call gives an error message in the app?

best regards,

Sebastian  

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Can you share at least a screenshot from Power BI mobile App that we could sent to developer for further investigation?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Dear Team,

of course. Attached you will find 2 screenshots. One from the Powr BI Desktop designer and one from iOS.

Power BI DesignerPower BI DesigneriOSiOS

While the slicer search at the bottom for "AddressDesc" is working, the search is not working for the text search on top. Of course the text search, the slicer and the table use the same field and there is only 1 address dimension with 1 field called "AddressDesc" in the SSAS tabular model.

Entering "Chi" in the text search should result in some address entries (as you can see in the table) but the SSAS does not receive any MDX command (with the slicer I can trace it).  In case you tell me it is perfectly working in the development department then something else must be wrong in my setup. 

Best regards and thanks, 

Sebastian 

PS: The border boxes around visual components on the mobile view are simply annoying, useless and not welcomed at all. There are also ticket requests open for it. 

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Last question before we envolve developer for further investigation.

Did you rename AddressDesc column?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Good morning Ignat,

I don't think so. Since I also re-created the report I doubt it would be necessary to rename "AddressDesc" to "AddressDesc". In some hours I can test it on Android and will give you further feedback. No I dont get an Android phone but tested on a second iPhone and it is still not working.

Dimension AddressDimension Address

Does renaming have an impact? 

best regards,

Sebastian 

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'd ask you again about the test report. Is it feasible to create a test report in Power BI with test data and share such report with me for further debugging?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Hello,

I just tested it with a small CSV file as a source and it was not working. Sorry...

best regards,

Sebastian

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Text Filter works well on my data-set.

Please share the report in order to investigate this issue further.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Dear Ignat,

I sent you the file per mail. 

I just tested again and it is not working with Power BI report server (October) + mobile app on iOS 11.2.5. 

Many thanks for your support. 

Sebastian 

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thank you for sending the report.

We're able to reproduce this issue with Power BI Report Server and Power BI mobile app on iOS.

We've asked owner of this custom visual to investigate the issue further.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Many thanks for all your efforts Ignat. 

I know it is hard to deal with people like me telling you "it is not working" :). 

It would be very kind if you could inform me about planned release date of the bug fix. 

In my opinion then Power BI can nearly replace the SSRS mobile reports. However, missing is still the option to deactive the annoying "focus" box around all components with its border. I was already thinking of "hacking" the CSS in behind. 

best regards,

Sebastian 

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

We'll certanly notify you about all updates that owner makes to fix Text Fitler.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors