Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kgrafton
Frequent Visitor

Column-based Power KPI Matrix - ID column

I am using the Power KPI Matrix visual with column-based data, and I'm having an issue. To group the categories together, the visual wants an ID associated with each row, but since each row has all of the categories in it, I don't know what ID to put for the rows. The sample file has an ID associated with each row, but I don't see how to correctly connect it in my file. Can anyone help?

Sample of my data (Excel file)

6 REPLIES 6
kgrafton
Frequent Visitor

@v-viig @fraggle I'm still having this issue as well. I have a sample of data in my original post, but let's see if I can explain any better here. So I have the following 2 tables:

Categories

(Goal ID, Goal, Category)

2, goalA, categoryA

2, goalA, categoryB

3, goalB, categoryC

4, goalC, categoryD

Data

(Date, categoryAvalue, categoryBvalue, categoryCvalue, categoryDvalue)

2018, 5, 10, 7, 9

2019, 6, 12, 6, 9

So I need to associate the Goal ID fromm the Categories table to the rows in the Data table. But each row has a value for categoryA, categoryB, categoryC, and categoryD. So I can't assign one Goal ID to the rows in Data because it has a vaule for every Goal ID in the Categories table. 

Even in the example data given on the app page (here) doesn't make sense, and it's the same problem. If you look at the table Column_Based_Metrics, and take the row from 9/1/2017, the ID column has the value 4, which would be the KPI Transactions in the Col_Links table. But the row has values for the KPIs Total Units (ID 1), Premium Units (ID 2), Gross Revenue (ID 3), Transactions (ID 4), Active Customers (ID 5), Avg Price (ID 6), Returns (ID 7), and Satisfaction (ID 8). So how is it determined that this row belongs with the ID 4 when it has values for every KPI? It seems as though every ID should be in that column since each has a value in the row. 

Maybe I'm missing something?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I am currently having the same issue, did you ever figure it out?

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Can you share a data sample for investigation?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

I updated my post to include a sample of my data. The first sheet shows the data, the second sheet shows the category hierarchy.

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Goal ID column must contain values from 1 to 13 in your case. This column must be in Categories table and Scorecard data table.

After that, you must open Relationship manager to make a relation between two table by using Goal ID as a key column.

As a reference you can use Sample report.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

I'm having a similar issue that I'm trying to get my head around this.

If using column based data where the column headers relate to the categories, how can creating an ID column in this table relate to a categories in a second table?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.