Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rohitr
Regular Visitor

cannot share dashboard to external organization

Hi Power BI team,

I cannot share my dashboard with our clients in external organizations (the 'Share' button greys out as soon as I type an external email address).

I have gone through a number of articles around this subject and found this link - https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-february-service-update/#disableExternalSharing that may contain an explanation to my issue.

My question is that it is highly unlikely that the global administrator turns ON external sharing on the tenant, as it may introduce a risk for other projects (maybe other projects don't want to expose their dashboards to external domains).

Can Power BI PRO solve my issue? Can I create a separate account for my project and become the admin, share dashboards with external organizations?

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Rohit

2 REPLIES 2
stretcharm
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

You can only share if both you and the external company has a pro licence.  However you can give them one of your licences.

This doc explains how and worked for me.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b

I created an app workspace and shared with an external email user. They were able to see the dashboard when they started the trial.

I believe reports have been added to the sharing b2b features now.

I'm not sure about the admin settings as I don't have access to these.

In addition to what @stretcharm said, if the app workspace is in a Power BI Premium capacity, then you can share with an external b2b user even if the recipient does not have a Pro license.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.