Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jackmike

Traditional Financial Statements

Please don't shoot me, or direct me to SQL SSRS or Management Reporter, but is it possible to create financial statements using Power BI?  Does anyone have samples; balance sheet, profit and loss statement, etc.?  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

We are workinf really hard to create content relevant for specific roles and industries but the advantage of Power BI and Desktop is it's similar experience with PowerPivot in excel for modeling. use cases for financial statements has been widely covered by Excel experts on PowerPivot and they're all relevant to Power BI, including DAX code to create relevant measures, calculations and tables. Here are some examples:

I'll make sure to update this post once we have more specific Power BI examples.

Data for Everyone! We mean it

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Kris2x5
Advocate II
Advocate II

Just wanted to add to this thread that I use the Profitbase visual to create financial statements. Wanted to share if it helps someone else. It's free but you can pay for a license to get more features. I've found the free version suits my needs. 

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA200000642?tab=Overview

We are workinf really hard to create content relevant for specific roles and industries but the advantage of Power BI and Desktop is it's similar experience with PowerPivot in excel for modeling. use cases for financial statements has been widely covered by Excel experts on PowerPivot and they're all relevant to Power BI, including DAX code to create relevant measures, calculations and tables. Here are some examples:

I'll make sure to update this post once we have more specific Power BI examples.

Data for Everyone! We mean it

Hi Miguel, are you ready to update this post with more specific Power BI examples as yet?

These links dont work!!!

Yes, we have created Income Statements by Period and Totals against previous year actuals and budget versions in Power BI for our clients based on data sourced from GP. The DAX, as noted in earlier replies, is a bit on the complex side - too much so to go into here. Basically, the data model must be set up with "Account Headers", "Subheaders" and on down the hierarchy, with some headers tied to specific measures to allow for calculated measures in line with previous line items in the Income Statement.

@bourquejeff , can you please provide more information on how did you managed to create " Income Statements by Period and Totals against previous year actuals and budget versions in Power BI" ?

Appreciate solutions and advices from the community as well !!

Hi!

Imke, from The BIccountant developped some solutions with PowerBI for the P&L etc. 

It takes quite some work to implement it, but if you are looking for a solution that can handle lots of accounts i can only recommand it. Here is a part of her blog on that topic (there are several parts)

https://www.thebiccountant.com/2016/07/21/easy-profit-loss-account-scheme-reports-power-bi-power-piv...

Cheers.

G.

can you explan how you were explain to create hierarchies, totals, calculations from summerized fields for financial reportings like P/L, BS, CA etc.

Some examples will help a lot as I am not very familiar to DAX expressions.

can you explan how you were explain to create hierarchies, totals, calculations from summerized fields for financial reportings like P/L, BS, CA etc.

Some examples will help a lot as I am not very familiar to DAX expressions.

can you explain more on how were you able to create hierarchies and totals and calculations from fields in Power BI for financial reports like P/L, BS, CA etc.?

Some examples will be helpful too as I am not very familiar with DAX expression.

What detail did you start with in order to create an income statement, for example? Did you start with amounts per general ledger account? If so, where did you define the hierarchy? 

I must suggest the following series 1,2 & 3 of blog postings to resolve your P&L, BS & CF financial statements.

Though it is a DAX dialogue beyond the scope of PBI blogs.

juan_amucha

Hi, did you get a solution for this? I want to go with all the info into Power BI but I started with the same problem of you and I cant solve it yet

ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@jackmike You can create basic reports using Table or Matrix in Power BI Desktop Tool. 

But major drawback is that we cannot take any printouts for this report neither can we export to any format like PDF/Excel. I don't have a sample to show. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.