Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

DatabaseMX

How to Move On-Premise Data Gateway from one machine to a different machine ?

Hi ...

I currently have the (Power BI) On-Premise Data Gateway installed on my company laptop.

I have a couple of  Power BI (PRO) dashboards connected via DirectQuery to an on-premise (company) SQL Server database, via the On-Premise Data Gateway.

This is all working fine ... it's all good. Users can access the dashboards via the browser and do their thing.

However, my laptop is not always on, thus the dashboards cannot always be accessed by various managers, etc.

I have a brand new Desktop machine that can be left on all the time and dedicated for this purpose.

I want to move the On-Premise Gateway from my laptop ... to the desktop machine.

Please provide explicit steps as to how to implement this Move between these two machines.

Thank You

7 REPLIES 7
Estefanie35

I'm trying to migrate the gateway from one machine to another and when I fill in the recovery key, I get an error message saying that my recovery key is wrong. I create a new gateway and then try to migrate this new one and get the same error, even saving the recovery key.
Any ideas?

TerryMRiley

You can do this when you install the Gateway on the new machine.  There is an option to create a new gateway or move an existing one.

Select  Migrate, restore or takeover an existing gateway.

Can you do this when you upgrade a gateway? or is this applicable only on a new install? 

What about a case when no upgrade has taken place and the installation has already been done, and we just want to consolidate a gateway from other older gateways ? 

Thank you

At some point near the end of the installation process the gateway installer will ask you whether this is a new gateway or whether you want it to search and take control of existing gateways that have been installed under this user/admin's profile gateway web service.

I just reinstalled on a new machine and it took control of the existing gateway that was up and running at the time - it should reestablish all links in the background on its own.

Hope this is helpful.

UdayPendem
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

Please find the below link that explains the process of setting up a new data gateway on a new computer

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem/#configure-a-new-gateway 

Hope this helps!!

brynfroberts73

I see that no one responded to you. Were you able to do this successfully? Facing similar situation.

brynfroberts73

I see that no one responded to you. There's no good documentation out there on this situation that I can find.  Were you able to do this successfully? Facing similar situation with a client.

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.