Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

EnterpriseDNA

Walk Through Of Many Ranking Techniques using DAX in Power BI

There's so many applications and situations where utilising ranking techniques really add a lot of value in your analysis.

I've created many videos over at Enterprise DNA TV which showcase these techniques, so I thought I might review some of these here so you can learn about them more.

I'm going to review these techniques but don't forget you could apply these a number of different ways and in lots of situations.

1. Find Your Top Customers Through Time Using RANKX in Power BI w/DAX

2. Discover Top Salespeople Contribution To All Sales in Power BI w/DAX

3. Discover The Best Selling Day For Your Products w/DAX in Power BI

Enterprise DNA TV logo2.png

Ok so let's work through these with a brief introduction and then the video that describes and guides you through the technique in detail.

Find Your Top Customers Through Time Using RANKX in Power BI w/DAX

In this example we are looking to work out the sales of our topn customer through time. This is a great insight to identify trends in your customers purchasing from you.

You'll want to keep track of say your top customers and make sure they keep purchasing a lot of fyou and don't fall off due to competition or some other reason of that nature.

Check out the full video below

Discover Top Salespeople Contribution To All Sales in Power BI w/DAX

In this example we are looking at how our top customers contribute to all of our sales within particular regions. Whenever I think of the value in this insight is through understanding your risk. The risk that if you have too many sales being made by one or two salespeople rather than a larger sales team then you could see your revenue drop significantly if they leave and don't work for you anymore.

This analytical technique allows you to quickly and easily identify these risks and then look to ultimately position your business to aviod them (if it's possible)

View the video below to learn more

Discover The Best Selling Day For Your Products w/DAX in Power BI

This is a really great technique to isolate top results that would usually be used as a filter. In this example I run through how you can work out what your top selling day is.

Think about how this may be used in a retail store or for an ecommerce site. You can run promotions on certain days to increase foot traffic to your store or website. You could even test if increasing prices worked!

You could use these techniques also in many ways if you think about it. You could work out who you top customer is per store, your best salespeople per region. It goes on and on.

Check out the entire training video here.

Hope you liked all of these techniqes. DAX calculations can be used in so many different ways and in my opinion is the true analytical power behind Power BI.

All the best with utilising these techniques in your own environments.

If you are just starting out and want to learn more about DAX then check out the Ultimate Beginners Guide to DAX at Enterprise DNA online.

Chrs

Sam McKay, CFA

Founder, Enterprise DNA

www.enterprisedna.co

Find other ways to connect to Enterprise DNA

Enterprise DNA TV - YouTube Channel

Enterprise Power BI - Linked Group

Comments

very useful information, thanks for sharing