Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

EnterpriseDNA

My Dashboard Best Practices Revealed - Recorded Workshop and Resource Download Available

Recently I ran a free workshop for all of those connected to Enterprise DNA someway. It was all about dashboarding and how to develop really compelling reports. I've created many Power BI models and reports now, and over that time I've developed some best practice techniques that I use all the time, basically in every single report I create.

You can register to watch the entire workshop replay and download the developed resource here - Dashboard Makeover Session in Power BI.

I don't use all my best practices in exactly the same way all the time but I bring them in my reports in some way shape or form and I feel it always work very well in delivering a solid reporting visualisation.

I find the missing ingredient in most report out there is the way that they look. Many have created models that work, DAX formulas that gather the insights but then the displaying of the information leaves a bit to be desired. Sometimes it's just downright terrible. I believe, and this is just my opinion, that if your reports don't look good then nothing you do before then actually matters. If no one wants to view your reports because they look bad and aren't compelling then you've got some work to do.

Hopefully by using some of my best practices to can learn how to improve the look of your reports. I only have 7, that's it. So here they are (I cover all these in depth during the workshop session so check it out for more detail)

Think in grids

Great colours are essential

Use appropriate chart or visual

Don't clutter, simple is better

Make key information stand out

Clear and simple titles and headers

10-15 seconds

This was the result for my recent development in Power BI

Multi Year Performance.JPG

So there you have it. You might think some of these may be obvious, I'm not sure, but you'll be amazed at how many times I see these missing and reports becoming ineffective as a result.

You may also be thinking what the 10-15 seconds means, well with that I just say...that if your consumers can't understand what your report is telling them in 10-15 seconds then you need to change it, update it or do whatever it takes to get it below that number. Consumers have short attention spans and I've found that this timing is about it. Remember when you develop reports you want viewers to be coming back for more, hopefully reviewing it daily, so getting to this point is crucial in making your reports a success.

During my latest live workshop, I covered these in greater detail and I walk through them via a really practical example that details the financial performance of a sales organisation. I've decided to make this recording available to all. Not only that I'm also making the resource available. It's important to be able to see how it's done and look 'under the hood' so to speak of Power BI models. I believe it helps immensely in learning how to develop great models and reports in Power BI.

To register for the recording and resource you can do that here - Dashboard Makeover Session in Power BI

Hopefully you can see the value in these best practices. It's certainly helped me to get these down in writing and now embedding them in my mind. My own report development has improved immensely.

Good luck with these.

Chrs
Sam

PS. If you are just starting out in Power BI be sure to check out my 'Ultimate Beginners Guide Series' at Enterprise DNA Online.

Comments

Hi, 

This was very helpful, thank you. 

I'm currently writing some report themes as json files, and need to attach different images (company logos) to the dashboards. These images as well as colors etc have to be attached when I publish the dashboards to the web, thus other users can use them through Office365. Do you have any links or info about how you imported "EnterpriseDNA" to your dashboard? (given you have done it in another way than the standard "import image".) 

All the best, 

Mikkel

I just use the standard import image, nothing special. Chrs

What I did was design a background template with PowerPoint that had any required branding that would exist on all of my reports and saved it as a .PNG file.  Then I import that image as the background and set the scale to "Fit".  That works better than having to import individual images onto the report page because it avoids the frame showing when you hover over the image.  It is also a great time saver.

Nice one, good solution

great solution! thanks! i am learning this new technology and its amazing!

http://codinghelpers.net/getting-started-with-power-bi-desktop/

Anonymous

Hi Sam,

just to be clear, the image you display is a Power BI Desktop Report and not a Power BI App Dashboard. It is important to clarify. I was looking to learn more about the Dashboard in the App for an enterprise purpose. 

Cheers,

Ad