Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ruthpozuelo

Monitoring Dashboards or Power BI Intelligence Alerts?

On previous blog posts, I have showed you how to create monitoring dashboards for both Google Analytics and Adwords.

I use those dashboards myself even though I am not a big fan of monitoring dashboards. Here is why:

Are monitoring dashboards useful? Yes, they surely are, specially in picking up variances and allowing you to react and learn from changes.

Are they needed? I would like to answer NO to that one.

One of the greatest features that Google analytics have, is Intelligence alerts where you get an email when variances occur (set up by google and yourself) and therefore you eliminate the need for those awful monitoring dashboards.

Can we do this in Power BI? Yes, with a but..

You can only create alerts in the mobile app, iphone app only to be more specific, and to use the mobile app, you need to send your reports to the power bi service (powerbi.com).

If you would like to be able to set alerts in the web service, please vote for this idea: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/7566924-set-email-alerts-in-the-w...

Unfortunately alerts don’t work with Android yet, so If you have an adroid phone,  vote for this idea:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/10627149-add-alerts-on-android

Intelligence alerts in Power BI

In this blog post I will show you how to publish your reports to power bi service and then configure alerts on the iphone app.

Ok, let’s go through the steps:

Open your report in Power Bi Desktop, I will use our Adwords dashboard for this example, and click on Publish.

1. publish.png

Now you will be promted to either login or create an account.

2.sign in power bi.png

Once you login, power bi will start publishing your report to the service:

3. publishing to power bi.png

And let you know when completed. It will also give you a direct link to the report:

4. success publish to power bi.png

Following the link to the service, you will be teased with some Power BI Quick Insights. I will not go through that feature in this post, but you migh want to click the link and explore it on your own.

5.data set ready.png

To be able to use the alerts feature in your phone, you need to create a dashboard on the Power BI service as you can only set alerts on tiles on the dashboards.

For that, navigate to reports and then click on the report AdWords_Curbal:

6. click on reports.png

Now, select the tile you would like to track and click on the Pin:

7.pin tp dashboard.png

And now you can either pin to an existing dashboard or create a new one. I will pin it to my Adwords_curbal dashboard.

8.pin tp dashboard dialogue.png

Once you have all the tiles you want to track in the dashboard is time to open the Powe BI mobile app:

App Store

Set up alerts on iPhone App

It is not very effective to show you how to set up the alerts with screenshots, so I have created a video here, to show you:

create alerts youtube.png

Happy Tracking!

Comments

Thanks for the tips. Is this only one time notification only? Means that we need to setup the rules again in order to get the notification after it has been triggered.

Hi anuarmn,

You only need to set up the rule once. Everytime the threadshold for the alert is met, you will be alerted again.

/Ruth