Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pallavi
Helper II
Helper II

Please give clarity and describe me the overall structure considering sql server and Azure analysis

Power BI Desktop -> It's completely free and all users can create reports using data from SQL Server/Azure SQL in power BI desktop

Power BI Service -> To use this either one should have Power BI Pro/Power BI Premium License and publish developed reports from PowerBI Desktop to Power BI Service that sits on Azure means cloud. i.e while publishing to Power BI Service all data set moves to cloud.

I just want to circulate these reports within the users of my  company and doesn't want to move data set to cloud as all data is sensitive. Does Power BI Report Server facilitates the above criteria?

Gateway -> It stays between power BI Service and on premise database which refreshes data on scheduling.

Will this gateway is used if i go with Azure tabular model which sits on cloud?

How the overall structure should go with security?

1 REPLY 1
zayan
Regular Visitor

Need to correct - PowerBI Service is also free and have more plans.

Content sharing using powerBI service requires a upgraded (Not free) account. (This goes as managing users feature)

To circulate reports to other users with credentials in free account you cannot, but you can export and share the file to others.

They will need to re upload the based on your update frequency.

About security - It's Microsoft !!! who manage data in giant warehouse 🙂

You could use power BI desktop without moving to cloud (Power BI service) but it's not feasible

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.