Synoptic Panel by SQLBI

by danieleperilli Regular Visitor on ‎09-30-2015 03:52 AM

Description: The Synoptic Panel connects areas in a picture with attributes in the data model, coloring each area with a state (red/yellow/green) or with a saturation of a color related to the value of a measure. Starting from any image, you draw custom areas using http://synoptic.design/, which generates a JSON file you import in the Synoptic Panel. You can visualize data over a map, a planimetry, a diagram, a flow chart.

Video: https://youtu.be/N7ZjAVvYeXM

Code: https://github.com/danieleperilli/PowerBI-visuals 

Comments
by JenUnderwood Member
on ‎09-30-2015 07:49 AM

This is soooooooooooooooooooo awesome! 

by deldersveld Member
on ‎10-01-2015 06:07 AM

Awesome work!

by Ricardo Regular Visitor
on ‎10-01-2015 12:57 PM

Hi Daniele,

once again, awesome work Smiley Happy

I've pasted the code in my online developer tool, with the changes mentioned in synopticPanelBySQLBI.ts ,

and noticed that in the "Format" section doesn't appear anything, just a message "Format options aren't available for this visualization". Could i have made any mistake when cuttin/pasting the file? Can a problem exist in your file .ts, or could i have any compatibility problem in PowerBI?

Regards

by danieleperilli Regular Visitor
‎10-01-2015 03:16 PM - edited ‎10-01-2015 03:30 PM

Hi @Ricardo,

sometimes happened to me, too. I didn't understand if it's a fault in my code or a bug in Power BI. 

Anyway you can bypass it changing the visual to a built in type (such as Pie chart), then make the legend visibile and then changing it back to Synoptic Panel.

I know... sorry for the incovenience.

on ‎10-01-2015 03:38 PM

Hi Daniele,

"Anyway you can bypass it changing the visual to a built in type (such as Pie chart..."

I haven't truly tested your object yet, but i already confirm this behaviour.

Also, (i'm writting here about another object because it seems more or less similar...) i've had problems with

Bullet Chart, but if i change with standard objects then appears.

on ‎10-02-2015 11:44 AM

s

on ‎10-02-2015 11:47 AM

Hi Daniele,

i've placed the two files. 

Note: PNG file only appeared after refresh

Problem:JSON file doesn't "translate" into anything, i've checked the path andd JSON format through JSONLint, can you imagine the reason?

Finally, is/will it possible to place files on onedrive?

Thank you for your help and congratulations, this will be extremely useful!

on ‎10-03-2015 05:44 PM

Hi @Ricardo,

you have to update the repo to the latest version. I've made several changes and solved some issues. Furthermore the map and the area files are now selectable from your computer (no more remote loading).

There is a bug when saving, yet (at every refresh you have to re-select these two files... sorry, I'm working on).

on ‎10-05-2015 07:50 AM

I've updated to the latest repo and compiled in visual tools without problems. I tried to select both files on c:\ , to where i copied. But neither of them appear. They should immediatly appear after pasting their names in both boxes, right?

My example was very simple:

- just a excel table with place and quantity (just like in the example in the end of the youtube video), configured as such, with 23 entries.

- imported to PowerBI, as a local file

- created your visual, changed to pie and activated legend, then return to your object.

- Place both files on c:\ and paste both their names to the text boxes (here they don't appear, but i've placed them)

Am i missing something?

Regards

on ‎10-05-2015 08:46 AM

Hi @Ricardo,

no, you don't have to paste the file path in the fields in the properties panel (sorry for the confusion).

In editing mode, in the top right area of the visual itself you should see the following two buttons (Select Map and Select Areas). If you don't see it, try to set Category and Values measures.