Highlighted
fso Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Accepted Solution

How can one install/use the contest submissions?

Hi,

some of the contest submissions would be super useful to some of my reports and dashboards.
Now, I am not a developer and hence do not have the understanding to follow any of the dev guides.

Is there a way for me to use any of the submitted visualizations?

I can access the repositories n GitHub and I have managed to get into Dev Tools on powerbi.com.
What now?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Established Member

Re: How can one install/use the contest submissions?

[ Edited ]

In addition to using the dev Playground in Visual Studio, you can use the Dev Tools separately to evaluate a contest submission. Copying and pasting code into Dev Tools allows you to quickly test a visual without the hassle of working with the repo and using the Playground.

1. Open up Dev Tools in the Service via ?devToolsEnabled=true and then Settings --> Dev Tools
  2. Follow the Code link for whatever contest entry you want to access the submitter's forked repo
  3. Go to the /src/Client/Visuals/visuals folder and click on the .ts file of the visual you want
  4. Click the "Raw" button at the top to open up just the code
  5. Copy the code and paste it into Dev Tools
  6. You then *must* remove all of the comments at the top. First line in Dev Tools should be module powerbi.visuals {
  7. Hit Compile + Run in Dev Tools, switch over to the Service, and refresh the browser to see the new visual's icon and use it

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super Contributor

You need to get the fork that includes the visualization you want from CodePlex. This link contains everything you need to get the fork and run the visualizations, etc.

https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-visuals

Specifically:

http://microsoft.github.io/PowerBI-visuals/playground/index.html

Remember that until they include them in the main release, you won't be able to use them in the service.

Established Member

[ Edited ]

In addition to using the dev Playground in Visual Studio, you can use the Dev Tools separately to evaluate a contest submission. Copying and pasting code into Dev Tools allows you to quickly test a visual without the hassle of working with the repo and using the Playground.

1. Open up Dev Tools in the Service via ?devToolsEnabled=true and then Settings --> Dev Tools
  2. Follow the Code link for whatever contest entry you want to access the submitter's forked repo
  3. Go to the /src/Client/Visuals/visuals folder and click on the .ts file of the visual you want
  4. Click the "Raw" button at the top to open up just the code
  5. Copy the code and paste it into Dev Tools
  6. You then *must* remove all of the comments at the top. First line in Dev Tools should be module powerbi.visuals {
  7. Hit Compile + Run in Dev Tools, switch over to the Service, and refresh the browser to see the new visual's icon and use it